Thursday, May 2, 2013

OMBRE HAIR, DON'T CARE!

I have virgin hair. Never coloured, never treated. I don't trust anyone with my hair. I hate haircuts because I feel like something always goes wrong. Plus, I don't want to pay $40 for someone to mess up my hair. I can mess up my hair for free at home.  I'm a little stubborn and protective when it comes to my hair, but lately it's felt a little boring. 

A few months ago, my best friend ombre-ed her hair, and it looked gorgeous on her. I told her so many, many times. She offered to help me out with the ombre look, and I said yes. So I took a little trip on a rainy Monday afternoon to her house and we dyed my hair, ate chocolate and nachos, and watched Game of Thrones. 



I'm the garbage bag princess. Didn't you know? Garbage bags are the latest and greatest...



Take in my mad swag. 


I picked up this Garnier Nutrisse Intense Bleach Cream on sale at Shoppers' Drug Mart for $7.99. Looks are deceiving. There's a photo on the side of the box that pretty much says "if you've got black hair, your hair will turn this nice golden blonde". It scared me a bit to think that I'd nearly be going blonde. Questions like "What if I mess up and my whole head is blonde?" passed through my mind. The thing is, I didn't even come close to having a strand of blonde hair. Because my hair is naturally jet black, it took three applications and an hour and half to get it only to brown. I also used an old tooth brush to blend the colour up into my hair because I was afraid of having a stark line of blonde/black in my hair. One thing about dying, before washing my hair it looked like there was no change whatsoever, but after blow drying I could see a fairly significant difference. 

The instructions on the box were pretty straightforward but if you're curious... The process went something like this... We followed the instructions on the kit to mix the dye. Then we split my hair into about 20 sections and applied a small amount of very stinky bleach to the very ends of my hair (the parts I wanted to be blonde) and covered them with aluminum foil. We waited about 30 minutes and then started taking out the foil from the first covered section to the latest section and then washed the dye out and dried my hair. Next, we applied more dye a bit higher and also covered the ends that were previously bleached. We waited 30 minutes again and then repeated the washing/drying/re-application process. After all that waiting and washing the bleach out, my hair felt super dry. The dye box came with a conditioner which made my hair feel a million times better after use. 








In a nutshell... 

LIKES
fairly subtle colour
lighter for spring/summer
good transition from dark to light

DISLIKES
damaged at the ends
stinky bleach/very chemically


Overall, this took a lot of trial, error, and checking. It was lots of fun to do it with a friend (much thanks and creds to her for taking most of the photos), I definitely couldn't have done it without her. I'm loving the way it turned out and a slight lightening of my hair colour is the much needed change that my hair's been waiting for. I'm excited to style it and make some use out of my "colour treatment" haircare samples :)  

Have you ever dyed your hair? Do you dye it regularly? Ombre... YAY or NAY? 


39 comments:

  1. Love it! It look so good on you!

    xx
    http://thelastbrokenroad.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great on you! I like when the ombre looks natural, not a complete difference. So your's looks lovely!

    Simple Charm Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing Ombre for the past 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really natural! Mine is all gone now, I should re-ombre my hair for the summer (=

    Maria xx

    craftyowl93.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh it looks gorgeous! You just need to add lots of conditioner to it and use an intense one once a week on it
    I haven't had my natural colour in about 7 years. Going between reds and browns but never bleached it.
    I just had my hair professionally coloured for the first time ever at my cousin's salon and the colour is gorgeous. Brown with subtle hint of red, way better than i can achieve at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice color! Look good on you !

    http://www.Bangbangblond.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks absolutely stunning! I have virgin hair too... still haven't decided if I want to do anything with it

    Amina || Blog: Oh just one more ||

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. Sounds like it was fairly easy to do at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks very nice on you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so good! Ombre hair is probably my favorite look. Mine needs to be redone I think, but yours looks super pretty :)

    www.dressingroomdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great and seems to have a bit of a reddish tint to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww I love it! Would love to do mine but would need to get rid of the all over blonde first :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks absolutely fabulous! You guys did a great job! I stopped dying my hair last year after 15 years of messing with it. I'm naturally blonde and I have
    a bit of an ombre going because the ends are lighter from years of highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so pretty!! I love how natural it looks--I wouldn't have guessed that you did this with a cheapie kit at home, it looks very professional. Now I want to ombre my hair too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't ombre-ed my hair, but I have permed it a few times, and the damage is pretty similar I believe, lol. If you want to, you could try a coconut oil hair mask to treat your ends. I just warm up a bit of virgin coconut oil and then apply to my hair, wrap in a towel and leave it in for as long as I can - ideally 30 minutes to an hour. Then shampoo and condition as normal. It really helps regain the softness and silkiness. Just a little tip in case you were interested :)
    Your hair looks great. I like that it's not straight to blonde from black. The brown is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First I totally dig your bag swag! haha, so funny and nice of you to share. Second, I think you guys did a pretty good job. I want to ombre my hair too but been too scared to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your friend did a great job. It looks very subtle. I have never dyed my hair either, but I have gotten low-lights in the past, which has lightened my hair a bit. I don't think people with black hair can ever get that natural black color back after using hair dye. Your hair is gorgeous both with or without the ombre. :)

    http://strawberryheartschocolatedarts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. The ombre looks great on you! I'm allergic to hair dye and haven't been able to enjoy this trend lol.

    Nikki
    Glitter and Grease
    http://nikkidee14.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks really great ! Love it !

    X

    styledbyzani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha your garbage bags pose so swag! lol

    looks great on you :D
    i have dyed my hair once and it's turns into bad damaged hair in the ends so i cut it and until now i don't wanna to dye again, but it's still looks good on some people to get ombre hair

    xxx
    aboutbeautyandcosmetics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! It looks so great on you! I dye my hair at least once a month, I've been trying to dye it close to my natural colour lately, though... it's taking a while to get it back from the bleached copper colour it was before.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I looks great on you!! Not a lot of people can pull of ombre, and so it just ends up looking tacky - but it definitely suits you :)

    xx GirlMeetsGlamourWorld xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg I ombred my hair just a week ago at a salon, it looks nice but yea, the ends are tots damaged -_-

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your new hair! I have had dip dyed tips for the past two years so it's always fun changing up the colours.

    http://andini-ria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow I love the finish look! The light blonde hair colour on the hair dye box scared me too, it looks so light-but your hair turned nothing close to it haha :P The ombre look is so pretty and suits you so well- I'm like you too, I don't really experiment with my hair much (but I have dyed it a few times but you can harder see the change!) but I really like this hair style :) I hate it when hair dyes/bleach dries out your hair, it literally feels like straw!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it looks really good!
    I love the trend!

    www.blondeebrittany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks really great ! It's not "too ombré" so it's really pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! It looks great! :D

    ciaraangelyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, the end result and last picture is gorgeous! Nice choice! I dyed my hair once professionally, and never again. It was just too damaging and I loved my natural hair color too much! lol T___T

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hahaha nice garbage bag! I love your new hair look - I always go to a professional to dye my hair since I'm scared of ruining my hair myself.

    Louise
    dreamdustx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the top photo, so cute!x

    vanityrail.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute Steph! I did an ombre at home, it came out a disaster, and I had to redo it at a salon, I'll put up a post after I finish my exams. I went for caramel. Your tips are such a pretty color!

    Jen xx
    jentea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. you're too cute!!! i think your hair looks great... in the photos and in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My flatmates and I always wear bin-bag dresses when dying hair! I'm glad we're not the only ones aha

    littlejessybee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. I say YAY!!
    I've recently went ombre as well, after never dyeing my hair :)

    It looks very cute on you!

    X

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day!